September 24, 2018: Update on the Novel
- Just finished the first round of edits on the new novel. For me, this involves printing out the manuscript, reading it, and marking it up with a pen.
- Then I’ll go through the file and make all the changes.
- THEN, I’ll save the manuscript as a .pdf and send it to my Kindle.
- THEN, I’ll read it on the Kindle. During this process, I’ll undoubtedly discover several new errors. (I always catch new errors during this part of the process. For some reason, I visually process the text on the screen in a different way than I process the words on the page.)
- THEN, it’ll go out to a couple of beta readers.
- Now I have to get ready to go running.
- I want to run for about an hour. (Lately, because of weather, etc., I’ve only been making half hour runs.)
- I’ll be playing a shitload of softball games later this week.
- My beloved Bengals lost to the Panthers yesterday. Insert feline joke here.
- Speaking of felines, Jasmine the Jazzy cat just walked in, meowed, and left.
- When, oh, when, will my Cincinnati Reds be good again?
- I’ve been listening to this cool podcast, run by a small nonprofit press focused on the translation of literary fiction. Even though that’s a little far afield from my own work, I enjoy listening to it because it offers insight on trends in the publishing industry from the perspective of a small, non-mainstream publisher. And I’ve enjoyed a couple of their books, too. Translated books, in my experience, are far less likely to contort themselves to fit the pop culture/melodrama/crash/bang/boom aesthetic.
Posted on September 24, 2018, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.